Today hiking activities become more and more popular. People prefer hiking because they can both practice your health and enjoy the scenes when they pass. That is the reason why they always concern about how to choose a good pair of hiking boots, especially people with the wide feet. Choosing the best hiking boots for wide feet is not simple, so you always want to keep it as long as possible. In this article, we will share useful tips to take care of your hiking boots.
After each trip: Wipe hiking boots cleanly
TIPS FOR CLEANING HIKING BOOTS
Please spend time on cleaning hiking boots. You think you are too tired after a long trip so you do not have enough strength to clean your hiking boots? Then remember to clean your friend on each trip on the next day.
- After each trip, dirt and sand can cling to shoes (possibly leather or canvas shoes) and rub the surface of shoes as a layer of sandpaper.
- Mud can suck the moisture of leather material so the material becomes hard, dry and the leather is less soft and easily damaged.
- Removable insoles (in some types of shoes) or the part on the bottom can be washed by a machine. Remember to check the instructions of the manufacturer again before you do this. Do not forget to always remove liner or insole and hang outdoor.
Note: Do not wash the hiking shoes by the washing machine.
Use a brush to gently wipe the dirt. It is the best to use a dedicated kit, a vegetable brush or a toothbrush. To clean the shoes completely, you should remove the shoelace before you start cleaning. You can mix a little water with a little soap for the leather materials, or even add some dishwater into the kit to clean.
- Do not use soap or detergents because these chemicals usually contain the desiccant. The detergents often leave the dregs.
- Mold on shoes? Mix the water and vinegar with the ratio of 80%:20% then use a brush to clean.
- If it is necessary, you can wash the outside part. The machine for cleaning the sole can clean sand and other types of stubborn dirt on your shoes. If your shoes are muddy, put the outside part (not upper parts) in the water for some hours, then use a spout to clean it.
TIPS FOR DRYING HIKING BOOTS
- To dry the shoes in the normal temperature. Quick drying is not good for a pair of shoes, especially the leather shoes. If you want to dry your hiking boots quickly, let’s continue to read.
- Remove the insole and dry naturally.
- Do not leave the shoes wet, near the heat sources (fireplaces, campfires, wood stoves, direct sunlight…) because high temperature will:
- Reducing the effectiveness of adhesives in the shoes.
- Preheating the upper parts can lead the skin to become shrink or curl, and can squeeze your toes when wearing shoes and even can cause one big problem. That is you cannot fit your shoes anymore.
- The drying method you should apply: put shoes in front of a fan at room temperature (removable insole and leave the tongue wide open – padding between the hood and the instep)
- No fan? Lining 1 or 2 sheets of newspaper into the shoes because they are able to descent Do not forget to change the newspaper after every one hour.
- If you want to quickly dry shoes, put shoes upside down. This way can help your shoes to quickly dry and there are not any bad effects to your ones.
- Put shoes in the normal and stable temperature. Do not leave shoes in the attic, garage, bodywork, or any places where is airtight.
After use: cleaning, softening and using the waterproof nutrients
We offer three types of nutrients caring shoes. Here are some instructions on how to use:
Cleaner: using a dedicated cleaner to clean shoes before spraying/using the waterproof nutrients, or whenever you want to clean the stubborn dirt on shoes such as dust and dirt.
Please use the shoe cleaners periodically. You want your hiking boots always be clean after each trip with some normal steps? But when your hiking boots are muddy, the dedicated cleaner is the best effective way.
Tip: you should always clean the shoes before you spray/use the waterproof nutrients.
Conditioner: let’s use the conditioner when the leather is dry or crack. However, you can also use this product when you need to dry your shoes more quickly.
Do not forget to use the conditioner in the “wise” way. Good leather material (just like our skin) works most effectively when there is enough moisture. However, your hiking boots will be very soft and reduce the efficiency when you walk on the rugged terrains.
Do not use mink oil or other similar oils because they are just suitable for the kinds of logging shoes and soften the leather of your beloved hiking shoes.
Use the waterproof agent when you see the water not remain the droplets on the skin surface. The purpose of using the waterproof agent is letting the water not go deep into the shoes. It is just on the surface
Remember to use it just when it is necessary. Using less or more depends on the way of using your hiking boots. If you are those who hike in wet areas, you must use waterproof agent several times in a year.
In the end, there are some basic ways for you to make your pair of hiking boots last longer. They are some tips for cleaning, drying and after using. Well, this article includes a lot of useful information about how to clean a pair of hiking boots after each your trip. Through this post, we hope that you can read this carefully and apply these steps effectively on your hiking boots. And your beloved will stay with you for a long time.